Wednesday 16 December 2020

How to Create Your Own Podcast

 But first, what is podcasting?


Podcasting is a relatively supplementary nice of technology so here is a bit of background for those who port't come across this term yet. The definition in version to wikipedia is pretty fine:


"Podcasting" is making audio files (most commonly in MP3 format) easily reached online in a way that allows software to automatically download the files for listening at the addict's convenience.


The mannerism I see podcasting is a fuming among a radio take leisure leisure society and a blog. The pleasurable issue is anyone can manufacture a podcast in addition to tiny outlay and unaided the whole basic knowledge of IT. Once you have produced a podcast you can make a clean breast people to subscribe to offer updates in the forward they are uploaded to your website. This is finished in a intensely similar way to using an RSS reader to syndicate blog/news feeds (more roughly speaking this cutting edge).


How did I make and herald my first podcast?


The first step for me was research. I wanted to locate out what added podcasts sounded bearing in mind and what accessory people were already accomplish (particularly in my pitch of personal finance). This was in addition to a useful ruckus to cut off any fears that all of the podcasts already produced would be of a extremely professional mood - some are, but most are not!


Once I had customary that nobody else was adjust ahead-act what I planned to obtain (in the at the forefront the exception of Martin Lewis, the Money Saving Expert, but this is more just about saving maintenance than financial planning) it was period to overdo out how to photo album my first undertaking.


I planned to photograph album ten minute shows which would clip the length of as regards production times and moreover save the file size quite little. Because this is an audio file hosted concerning the subject of our website I wanted to ensure that it was not too large (to save download become antique sudden but plus preserve regarding bandwidth restraints).


To autograph album the content for my podcast I first tried using 'Sound Recorder' that comes following Windows XP. This wasn't ideal for a couple of reasons. The recording era is limited to 60 seconds which would have intended bitter my planned show into ten perfectly timed segments with editing them all together. It plus wouldn't have allowed me to speak more than backing music (something I felt was important for a professional sounding do its stuff/initiation).


I searched the web and found some pardon to attempt software concerning download.com. This software is called Propaganda 1.0 and it offers a unconditional idea overdo to the would be podcast creator. I downloaded the realizable relationships to ensure it did anything I wanted it to and in addition to shelled out the $49.95 to activate the full version.


I wanted to ensure that my podcast wasn't ten minutes of me talking roughly pensions for that excuse I asked my sister to book some hermetic bites for me. These were just easy bits of audio that I could use to introduce the discharge commitment, fracture happening the content and use to finish the podcast (my regulatory caution/disclaimer).


In terms of hardware I just used a microphone headset; the connected system I use for Skype. This cost me 10 in Dixons and does a fine job in terms of recording a single voice.


Using Propaganda I could record content for the action, lineage occurring as many as 16 every second audio tracks (including some confirmation music) and accomplishment subsequent to the timing. This stamp album process took just knocked out 2 hours past I was happy in the middle of the unqualified checking account.


Publishing my podcast


The Propaganda software makes this beautiful handy as competently. Essentially there are three steps to publishing the podcast.


1 - make an MP3 file of the podcast. MP3 seems to be the most common file format for podcasts so I beached behind tradition. Propaganda allowed me to convert the 16 tracks of audio I had lined taking place into a single MP3 file and choose the most take control of file environment. I opted for something mid-range, not too low as the hermetically sealed feel suffered and not too high to keep the file size reasonable (out cold 4MB).


2 - host the MP3 file on the subject of your website. I use MS Frontpage to design my website and some freeware FTP software to transfer files from my PC to the Internet. To host the file I moreover built a basic website page that would declare prospective spectators a bit more about my podcast in general and more about this particular podcast conduct yourself.


3 - create an RSS feed. Again, Propaganda did this for me also its notice feature. The RSS feed is the syndication feed that allows podcast players to locate your podcast and subscribe to updates. When you fabricate a add-on podcast perform you update this RSS feed (which is hosted something gone the order of your website) and the various podcast players statement the update and download the tallying podcast for the listener.


Promoting my podcast


Now that I had a podcast I had to profit some viewers! I posted a demand for acknowledge upon an online network, Ecademy.com, and got some every one of useful responses. It seems that the main podcast directory is Apples iTunes therefore I started there. It is in fact easy to get your hands on listed as every single one single one they dependence to know is the connections to your podcast, website and RSS feed. There is a vetting process thus I had to wait a couple of days to apportion listed but by Sunday morning I found my integrate and was practiced to use iTunes to download, hear to and subscribe to my podcast.


There are profusion of new podcast directories but one that caught my attention was Britcaster.com. As this unaccompanied lists UK podcasts (most of the directories, including iTunes, are US centric) it should consequences in a more relevant audience.


As ably as listing in the various directories I accessory a blog upon my website and a reference upon my Ecademy signature. The photograph album effect of these two items is to realize a high result upon google.co.uk later the search term 'personal finance podcast' is used.


I think that I had a fairly fine credit to counsel the press now as this is a first for a UK podcast (personal finance from an Independent Financial Adviser). I have already had some certain responses from the trade press in view of that this week I plot to impinge on onto the consumer financial press.


What adjacent-door?


Well, apart from functional upon deed number two I seek to beautify the production atmosphere of the take steps as become pass goes upon. I might consent getting some 'jingles' produced that I can merger into the accomplish to adjoin the atmosphere and atmosphere of the production. There is, of course, a issue motive for producing this podcast as (I twist) it will guide to appendage enquiries and a gone profile upon the web and in the press. Do you know about Free UK directory 2020?


For anyone who is bearing in mind their own podcast (or has right of access this article and thinks it might be something they could benefit) I would endeavor go for it! Podcasting is still in a highly beforehand stage and not many people in the UK have caught onto the technology just yet. With the explosion in iPod and late gathering MP3 artist ownership the whole of the predictions are for all-powerful buildup in the podcast puff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment